Britain’s privatised railways, going down the toilet? | Letters

Britain’s privatised railways, going down the toilet? | Letters

Owen Jones paints a picture of Britain’s railway that is far from accurate (On the floor and in first class our railways are a disgrace, 25 August). Twenty years ago, Britain’s railway ran at a £2bn a year loss in terms of day-to-day costs. As the safest and fastest-growing railway in Europe, it now virtually covers those costs, with £3.5bn a year from taxpayers spent on building a better railway.

To claim Britain has the highest fares in Europe is misleading, as The Man in Seat 61 explains: “This is only 15% of the story. The other 85% is that we have similar or even cheaper fares, too … the highest fares [are] designed to get maximum revenue from business travel, and some of the lowest fares [are] designed to get more revenue by filling more seats.”

Continue reading…

Source: Guardian Transport

<a href="Britain’s privatised railways, going down the toilet? | Letters” target=”_blank”>Britain’s privatised railways, going down the toilet? | Letters