Under the Carriage of Dangerous Goods and use of Transportable Pressure Equipment Regulations (as amended), all drivers require training and instruction.
Under regulation 24, certain drivers of road vehicles carrying dangerous goods may need to hold a vocational training certificate (VTC).
In Great Britain and Northern Ireland the VTC is obtained after a driver has attended a training course approved by the Department for Transport as competent authority, and successfully completed an examination set and marked by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA).
A VTC issued by the competent authority of a State contracting to ADR is valid throughout contracting states.
Drivers of vehicles carrying dangerous goods who may fall within this requirement are:
- A road tanker containing any dangerous goods;
- A vehicle carrying a tank container loaded with dangerous goods;
- A vehicle carrying dangerous goods in bulk;
- A vehicle carrying radioactive material;
- A vehicle carrying dangerous goods in packages, if these goods are over certain thresholds for those particular goods.
Courses will depend on the goods being carried and the vehicle in which substances are being transported.
Core Training Required by ALL drivers
Packaged Goods Required by ALL drivers carrying packaged goods
Tanker Module Required by ALL tanker drivers
Standard course – Core, Packages and 7 Classes
The course will provide a basic legal, safety and security requirement run-down for the transport of dangerous goods by road. Additionally, there will be an overview of the regulations for rail, sea and air.
The course also includes the basic requirement for the transportation of dangerous goods except explosives and radioactive materials. Examinations are on day 4 and consist of multi-choice questions.
There are papers for Core, Packaged Goods and 1 for each hazard class.
Duration: 4 days
Full course – Core, Packages, Tanks and 7 Classes
As the standard course but with the addition of the basic legal, safety and security requirements for the transport of dangerous goods by road tanker or tank containers. Examinations are as for the standard course with an additional multi-choice paper for the Tanker Module on day 5.
Duration: 5 days
• Core, Packages and one or more hazard classes: duration on application
• Core, Tanks and one or more hazard classes: duration on application
• Core and Class 1 Explosives: duration on application
• Core and Class 7 Radioactive Materials: duration on application
• Additional hazard classes – Delegates will need to have already passed the Core and Packages/Tanks module: duration on application
• Class 1 Explosives
• Class 2 Gases
• Class 3 Flammable Liquids
• Class 4 Flammable Solids
• Class 5 Oxidising Substances and Organic Peroxides
• Class 6 Toxic and Infectious Substances
• Class 7 Radioactive Materials
• Class 8 Corrosives Substances
• Class 9 Miscellaneous Substances
Class 1 Explosives and Class 7 Radioactive Materials are specialist one day courses. Delegates will need to have already passed the Core and Packages module.
We also offer ADR Awareness which is suitable for all staff involved in the carriage of dangerous goods. This is a 1 day course and provides individuals with essential information on how to operate safely and in line with legal requirements to promoting a compliant and efficient business culture.
Contact us today for more information.
Download this as a PDF Factsheet: LSC ADR 2013